Tuesday, March 24, 2009

World Classic Baseball

I'm not a huge sports fan because getting that emotionally involved and then being let down by the team you're rooting for seems unnecessary, but I can still enjoy the occasional Bulls or Cubs game. I don't really understand football, so no Bears for me.

Yesterday was the World Classic Baseball championship between Japan and Korea. Sadly, I got emotionally involved and was let down when Japan beat Korea 5 to 3, but overall it was a great game. There were home runs, stolen bases and the game even went into an extra inning.

While watching, I couldn't help but notice that whenever the sports announcer referred to the Korea team, he made it a point to specify that it was "South" Korea. But, the scoreboard referred to the team as "Korea," not "S. Korea or "South Korea." Why?

I frequently get asked about where I'm from, South Korea or North Korea. I still don't know how to answer, so I just say South Korea because that's where ma and pops were born. (At first, I say I'm from Chicago because that's where I was born, but people stare and ask me where I'm really from. Then I understand that they're trying to ask about my race, which is a mistake I admit to making myself when inquiring about someone's race.) However, their parents were born in all regions of Korea before the Korean War and the formation of the 38th parallel, which splits the north and south of Korea. I guess the question may be about what country I support? I'm not sure.

Anyway, quick shout out to my "#1" fan Kim. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment